Find A Course That's Right For You
We aim to have a course to suit most creative sewers!
We appreciate that everyone's situation is different and offer a range of courses of different intensities and timescales.
Full Course - Become a Qualified Handmade Kiltmaker
Over 26 weeks, 22 classroom learning days.
One day per week in class tuition | 15-30 hours of homework per week.
Our full course is a layered qualification to provide students with regular and structured experience as part of the Gordon Nicolson Kiltmakers family:
While some may wish to complete only the first level of EKA full course training, attending the course so you may make a kilt for loved ones or your own clients, we also encourage our students to continue on to the second level of kiltmaking training. This includes 52 weeks practical supervised experience with GNK/EKA Kiltmakers while you work on GNK kilts following successful completion of your EKA course training.
- Confident hand-sewing ability is essential.
- You will tailor 6 kilts using different tartans and tweeds with varying pleating styles and difficulties.
- Ideal first step for textile graduates or practiced sewers to explore the industry in Scotland's capital.
Dates - Full courses commence in 2023: Week beginning 4th September
Teaching Days to choose from (depending on availability): Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Please remeber 15-30 hours of homework will be undertaken per week in addition to the day in class.
Please register your interest in preferred days when making your application.
Finish week ending Saturday 9th March 2024.
Christmas break - Last days 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th and Wed 20th December, Returning Friday 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th January
Cost: £1750 (Includes some materials - more details following successful application)
Introductory Course - Create One Kilt for You or a Loved One
9 days in class – (the first Friday will be a work at home day)
Previous hand-sewing experience needed to keep pace with the course.
Possible Dates identified as available for these courses (will run depending on levels of interest):
April 10th to 21st
April 24th to 5th May
May 22nd to 2nd June
June 5th to 16th
June 19th to 30th
July 3rd to 14th
July 17th to 28th
Please register your interest for your preferred date in your application.
Cost: £850 + cost of cloth which can be purchased from EKA
EKA Visitor's Workshop - Give kiltmaking a go!
4 hrs in the EKA Studio
You will make a fun-sized kilt ideal for a teddy bear. An enjoyable introduction to kiltmaking where you will learn the basics of what goes into making kilts.
Materials for the wee kilt will be supplied.
These events will run depending on the level of interest so please note your interest now!
We also host other courses for EKA qualified kiltmakers who are looking to advance their skillset.
Military Roll Pleat:
- Learn how to create a military roll pleat handsewn kilt and get to grips with the differences between military and knife pleat kiltmaking
- An advanced course for already qualified kiltmakers to expand their skills
- Runs over two weekends - four full days of teaching - dates depending on interest.
Cost: £475 + Fabric cost, which can be purchased from EKA
- Learn how to assess kilts for alteration and undertake a kilt shortening, apron adjustment or swap, or a complete kilt remake
- EKA can provide kilts for alterations or you can supply your own
- will run over 2 weeks
May 5th to 16th
July 31st to August 11th
Please register your preferred date with your EKA tutor.
Course fees listed, subject to change depending on year*