Find A Course That's Right For You
We aim to have a course to suit most creative sewers!
We appreciate that everyone's situation is different and offer a range of courses of different intensities and timescales.
Full Course - Become a Qualified Handmade Kiltmaker
26 week classroom learning.
One day per week in class tuition | 15-30 hours of homework per week.
Our full course is a layered qualification to provide students with regular and structured experience as part of the Gordon Nicolson Kiltmakers family:
While some may wish to attend the first layer of EKA full course training, attending the course so you may make a kilt for loved ones or your own clients, we also encourage our students to continue on to the second layer of kiltmaking training. This includes 52 weeks practical supervised experience with GNK/EKA Kiltmakers while you work on GNK kilts following on from successful completion of your EKA course training.
- Previous hand-sewing experience is essential.
- You will tailor 6 kilts using different tartans and tweeds with varying pleating styles and difficulties.
- Ideal first step for textile graduates or practiced sewers to explore the industry in Scotland's capital.
Dates - Full courses commence in 2022: Week beginning 5th September
Teaching Days to choose from (depending on availability): Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Fridays.
Please register your interest in preferred days when making your application.
Finish week ending 31st March 2023.
Christmas break - Last days 16th, 19th, 20th and Wed 21st December, Returning Friday 6th, 9th, 10th and 11th January
Cost: £1550 (Includes some materials - more details following successful application) (2022/23)
Introductory Course - Create One Kilt for You or a Loved One
9 days in class – (the first Friday will be a work at home day)
Previous hand-sewing experience needed to keep pace with the course.
Proposed Dates identified as available for these courses (will run depending on levels of interest):
May 2nd to 13th and 16th to 27th
June 13th to 24th and 27th to 8th July
July 11th to 22nd
August 8th to 19th
Please register your interest for your preferred date in your application.
Cost: £750 + cost of cloth which can be purchased from EKA (2022/23)
EKA Visitor's Workshop - Give kiltmaking a go!
Half Day in class
You will make a kilt ideally sized for a teddy bear. A fun introduction to kiltmaking where you will learn the basics of what goes into making kilts.
Materials for the wee kilt will be supplied
These events will run deptending on the level of interest so please note your interest now!
We also host a number of other courses for qualified kiltmakers who are looking to advance their skillset.
Advanced Courses - Advanced Course For Qualified Kiltmakers
Military Box Pleat:
- Learn how to create a military box pleat handsewn kilt and get to grips with the differences between military and knife pleat kiltmaking
- An advanced course for already qualified kiltmakers to expand their skills
- Runs over three weekends - six full days of teaching - dates depending on interest.
Cost: £475 + Fabric cost, which can be purchased from EKA (2022/23)
- Learn how to assess kilts for alterations and undertake a kilt shortening, apron adjustment or swap, or a complete kilt remake
- EKA can provide kilts for alterations or you can supply your own
- Exclusively for EKA trained kiltmakers.
May 30th to June 3rd
August 1st to 5th
Please register your preferred date with your EKA tutor.
Cost: £475 (2022/23)
Course fees listed, subject to change depending on year*